Comparison between internal and external clappers

Discussions on various technical aspects of carillon instruments and standards.

Moderator: JohnGouwens

Forum rules
1. This forum section is for discussions about keyboard and design standards, the merits of various types of action, the history of what various founders have done in the past, etc.

2. If you reply to a particular posting, please keep your reply on topic. Please also do not make multiple separate postings on the same subject.

Re: Comparison between internal and external clappers

Postby JohnGouwens on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 pm

It would indeed be easy to tinker with clapper height and record. Actually that would be worthwhile. I suspect, though, that you want really precise measurements for the adjustments? Our bells are hung on wood beams, and I suspect I couldn't tighten it in its mounting (I assume that's what you mean) enough to change anything at all. There are cases where the wrong padding above a bell can stifle its resonance. That's not a problem I have here.
JohnGouwens

Postby TerryMcGee on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm

I don't think really precise measurements would be necessary, as long as we were able to provide some idea of distance up or down. You would probably like to get the clapper back to the same location though! Do you happen to know what the thread on the clapper shaft is? (EG 3/4" UNC). If you put a mark on the nuts and the clapper, and wound the top nut up say 10 full turns, then lift the clapper and wind the bottom nut up 10 turns, we could calculate what that is in height. Or perhaps you could use a rule from the bottom of the clapper shaft, or from a mark on the shaft. Relative measurements (eg 1/2" higher and lower) are enough, we don't need absolute measurements.

One issue that might cloud results is that the small flat that probably has already formed on the clapper may not sit well on the bell in the new locations. To be really fair, we should first rotate the clapper a bit to present a fresh face. Do all your testing at that setting, then afterwards, return the clapper to the original position so it blends best with its neighbours.

This is an example of what I said before - you tend to find out during the job how you should have done it! So it does pay to think ahead as far as you can.

Terry
TerryMcGee

Postby TerryMcGee on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Forgot to mention the bell mounting. Yes, I was naively assuming steel framing, as that's all I deal with here. I guess that's one I'd have to do, unless Gideon or someone else has a steel-framed carillon and a couple of spanners!

Terry
TerryMcGee

Postby JohnGouwens on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 pm

I hope to undertake this recording this week, testing not only different clapper positions, but also different touches (at the home position) to see just what is happening to the sound when I vary the way I commence the stroke. I'm *delighted* you're interested in analyzing all this!
JohnGouwens

Postby TerryMcGee on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

No worries. I'm interested in anything relating to clapper physics!

Terry
TerryMcGee

Postby JohnGouwens on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Haven't recorded yet, but that's still my plan. Is there a way to post a sound file here or must I post it on website and link to it? I haven't figured that out yet.
JohnGouwens

Postby TerryMcGee on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:41 pm

I assumed that was the case, same for photos. But I've just noticed the box below the Post A Reply form, which has tabs called Options and Upload Attachment. That latter tab looks promising.

OK, enough with "looks promising". Let's try it. If this works, you should hear Danny Boy, played by the Apollo II via the external strikers at Bathurst.

Ah, it responds with "The extension mp3 is not allowed". John, there may well be something in the Forum setup where you (as Administrator) can allow and disallow various formats as attachments. Want to check it out? It would be good to be able to have .mp3, .jpg, and .pdf as a minimum.

I'm disappointed I can't share Danny Boy with you. I have a sadistic streak.

Terry
TerryMcGee

Postby JohnGouwens on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:59 pm

I agree, I'd like to be able to do that. I will ask Dawn Daehn, as she is the real administrator. (My access to aspects of the software is pretty limited, aside from being able to lord it over other users!)
JohnGouwens

Postby JohnGouwens on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 pm

OK, I sent the question to Dawn. Meanwhile, if you want to torture us, you can put the file at your website and link us to it.
JohnGouwens

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussions