practice instrument

Discussions on various technical aspects of carillon instruments and standards.

Moderator: JohnGouwens

Forum rules
1. This forum section is for discussions about keyboard and design standards, the merits of various types of action, the history of what various founders have done in the past, etc.

2. If you reply to a particular posting, please keep your reply on topic. Please also do not make multiple separate postings on the same subject.

practice instrument

Postby DanFrankforter on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 am

a series of chime plates on the practice clavier sound "dampened" when struck. Adjusting the trackers does not help.
Any suggestions for restoring their clear "ring" would be appreciated.
DanFrankforter

Re: practice instrument

Postby JohnGouwens on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm moving this one over to Technical discussions, as that's really where it belongs.
JohnGouwens

Postby JohnGouwens on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:09 pm

The obvious answer would be to have it serviced by a company that services carillons and carillon equipment. Sometimes you get what you pay for. However, if you're looking for a "do-it-yourself" solution, some of us may have some suggestions (most of them admittedly amateur solutions). There is much that we don't know here. Who built the practice console? When was it built? How are the bars held in place?

Can you post some photos to a web page and link to them here? (You cannot, so far as I know, post photos directly to the forum.) :)
JohnGouwens

Postby FrancesNewell on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:22 am

yes you can. I posted some photos on the News page, but I found that they have to be no bigger than 256kb. In other words, small
FrancesNewell

Postby JohnGouwens on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 am

Ah, that is good to know. Thanks, Frances!
JohnGouwens

Postby DanFrankforter on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:00 am

Meeks and Watson built the clavier and recently serviced it. The result was worse than the original complaint, and they have not responded to emails requesting guidance.
DanFrankforter

Postby FrancesNewell on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:34 am

Dan, Do you have a Smartphone? I am going to try uploading a photo from my Smartphone to this post.
I will send it as Medium Size, which is about 150 KB.
If this works, then you could photograph your instrument using a Smartphone.Then e-mail it to yourself as Medium Size. Open your e-mail and save the photo to your camera roll. Upload it from there. You can post up to 3 photos per posting, but you do have to shrink them first as I have indicated. Then let the expert members see what you are up against. If this fails, then John, please delete my post.
Attachments
image.jpg
Carlo Van Ulft at his practice console
image.jpg (79.42 KB) Viewed 27343 times
FrancesNewell

Postby DanFrankforter on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks so much, Frances, for your post. Unfortunately I am a Luddite who makes do with a very stupid phone. The picture you post, however, looks exactly like our instrument. I realize that people are not likely to be able to tell much without being able to examine the beast itself, but I thought it would be worth a shot to see if anyone had faced and surmounted a similar problem. Thanks again for taking the time.
DanFrankforter

Postby TerryMcGee on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:24 am

Hi Dan

Can you tell us or show us how the bars are suspended or supported?

If you compare a bar that rings freely with one that doesn't, is the good bar free to move when struck, and the bad bar not free?

If so, can you see what is preventing the bad bar from being free?

Terry
TerryMcGee

Postby DanFrankforter on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi, Terry.

Thanks for writing.

The bars rest on felt pads and float freely. I have been all over the instrument and cannot see anything that might impinge on their ability to vibrate. There is nothing at either end of the bars that gets in the way. And I have experimented with the mallets to make sure they do not strike the bar and then hold it in place.

I must be missing something, for most of the worst affected are the lower (base) sharps/flats that are all in a line on the same level. The respective naturals (on a lower level) all ring clearly.

Maybe it's a case of demon possession?

Dan
DanFrankforter

Next

Return to Technical Discussions