Bach Transcriptions of The Wise Virgins or BWV542's fugue

Discussions about carillon music and technique.

Moderator: JohnGouwens

Forum rules
1. This forum section focuses on the musical aspect of the instrument. Discussions here can include aspects of playing technique, discussions about playing particular repertoire, and thoughts about what to play in presenting to the public.

2. If you reply to a particular posting, please keep your reply on topic. Also, please do not make multiple separate postings ("topics") on the same subject. The moderator reserves the right to combine or delete redundant topics as needed.

3. Please see “Forum Rules” here for additional guidelines.

4. You may include links or pictures in your postings, but posting of music which is in violation of copyright rules will be subject to deletion by the moderator.

Bach Transcriptions of The Wise Virgins or BWV542's fugue

Postby Brian Tang on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:32 am

Is anybody aware of the existence of a carillon transcription of Bach-Walton's The Wise Virgins? This would correspond to "What God hath done, is rightly done" (BWV 99), "Lord hear my longing" (BWV 727), "See what his love can do" (BWV 85), "Ah, how ephemeral" (BWV 26), "Sheep may safely graze" (BWV 208), "Praise be to God" (BWV 129).

I was listening to a recording and thought it had potential, although I wouldn't know until it was performed.

Also, has anybody ever attempted to fit the fugue of BWV 542 (part of the Great Fantasia and Fugue in G minor) on the carillon? There are a couple reasons why I think it might work (against several for why it probably wouldn't), but I'm curious.
Brian Tang

Re: Bach Transcriptions of The Wise Virgins or BWV542's fugue

Postby JohnGouwens on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 pm

I don't know about either of theses, actually, but Boudewijn Zwart in The Netherlands is the likeliest person to have attempted it. He's a brilliant player, but whether the result sounds even reasonable on the carillon is quite another matter. (He has transcribed, among other things, the "Wedge" Prelude and Fugue, BWV 548 and the D-Major Prelude and Fugue (which is ridiculously ineffective).
JohnGouwens

Return to Repertoire