Has Finale Met its End?

Discussions on carillon related topics.

Moderator: JohnGouwens

Forum rules
1. This forum section is the place for the “none of the above” topics (postings) – not technical, maybe campanalogical but not carillon-related. Comments about sleigh bells or Russian Zvon ringing would fit there. If a topic is started here that seems to fit more in the “News” category (prominent carillonneur dies, for instance) or one of the other categories, the moderator may move it to that forum section. This is a good place to put things like mentioning some old movie that had a carillon in it, for example – not news, and not one of the other categories.

2. Please see “Forum Rules” here for more details.

Has Finale Met its End?

Postby FrancesNewell on Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 pm

I just got this news that Finale software has been bought out. See links.
I will also try to post this on the forum for further discussion.
I must confess that I hope Finale WILL go out of business and then be replaced by software that actually considers MUSIC and MUSICIANS!
If the Sibelius folks had given classes around the country, their software might have survived.
MakeMusic, Inc. (Nasdaq: MMUS) announced that it is being purchased by LaunchEquity Acquisition Partners an affiliate of LaunchEquity Partners, LLC for approximately $13.5 million.
Apparently there is a pending lawsuit. To avoid communicating incorrect information, here is the web link where I found this tidbit. Check it out if you feel so inclined.
http://mergersacquisitionscenter.com/cu ... wsuit.html

The deal actually went through earlier this month:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... -MakeMusic

This press release doesn't say it, but the lawsuit was settled as well.
FrancesNewell

Re: Has Finale Met its End?

Postby JohnGouwens on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:40 am

Sibelius isn't dead, Frances. I upgraded to Sibelius 7 in March. There are *definite* problems dealing with the support folks at Avid, but they claim they kept the same programmers on. It's certainly still powerful. Is it better than Sibelius 6? Different, but sometimes it takes awhile to find things in Sibelius 7. The interface has changed more than the previous incarnations did. It still has the same gorgeous output, though.
JohnGouwens

Postby FrancesNewell on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 am

i'm glad to hear that Sibelius is still around.
I've heard that Sibelius is for musicians and Finale is for computer geeks.
However, I never heard of Sibelius offering any live classes with hands-on instruction.
I once downloaded their free 30-day trial, but did not have to figure it out alone!
I have taken a one-week intensive class in Finale and gone back for refresher and more advanced courses every year.
I hate Finale, but after years of practice and a little handson training, I've become quite proficient.
Is there hands-on training for Sibelius ANYWHERE?
FrancesNewell

Postby JohnGouwens on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:31 am

There might be, Francis. The Avid company (who owns Sibelius, but I believe handles several other products as well) sends me junk e-mail all the time, some of which might be about that. Aside from a couple of quirky things that used to be tricky in getting started, I have found Sibelius (in its earlier versions) to be easy to learn and easy to use, though it, like Finale, is loaded with very advanced features I would never use. One area where Sibelius clobbers Finale is that Sibelius (now in version 7 on Windows) will let you open and SAVE files in older Sibelius formats back to Version 2! This has come in handy in the Music Publications Committee, as not everybody has upgraded to the latest, and I can easily send them files they can use.
JohnGouwens

Return to General Interest