What's happening to Sibelius software?

Discussions on carillon related topics.

Moderator: JohnGouwens

Forum rules
1. This forum section is the place for the “none of the above” topics (postings) – not technical, maybe campanalogical but not carillon-related. Comments about sleigh bells or Russian Zvon ringing would fit there. If a topic is started here that seems to fit more in the “News” category (prominent carillonneur dies, for instance) or one of the other categories, the moderator may move it to that forum section. This is a good place to put things like mentioning some old movie that had a carillon in it, for example – not news, and not one of the other categories.

2. Please see “Forum Rules” here for more details.

What's happening to Sibelius software?

Postby FrancesNewell on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:45 am

Do any of you know what's happening with Sibelius? Last I heard, they had disbanded. I belong to an online chat forum about Finale, and EVERYONE is griping about how all their "upgraded" and new versions just bring new problems. Finale 2014 had FIVE versions! Many of us think Finale is on the way out. I would have switched to Sibelius years ago if anyone had given classes in it. Are they selling? Is there tech support for Sibelius? Is anybody giving classes in it? Finale drives me even crazier than I already am! Frances Newell
FrancesNewell

Re: What's happening to Sibelius software?

Postby JohnGouwens on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:35 am

I am a Sibelius guy, and the Avid company acquired Sibelius, and rumor has it, they tossed out Daniel Spreadbury, the English guy who was the man behind the software itself. Since that time, they did come out with Version 7 and Version 7.5. They changed the interface dramatically in Version 7, which for me was not an easy adjustment. (I started with version 2, later getting 3, 4, and 6 - skipped 5 - and none were as dramatic a change as this.) It is, though, capable of more things now than it was before. I *think* someone is working on it. One of the most important differences is that Sibelius has always been downwardly compatible, meaning you could save back to older versions of Sibelius, all the way back to Version 2. Finale only recently began to do that. I hope that's some help, Frances. I don't plan to change unless they totally stop development (and even then - I might stay with it and say "to heck with it.").
JohnGouwens

Re: What's happening to Sibelius software?

Postby FrancesNewell on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Thanks, John! To add to our confusion, Avid has just come out with Sibelius 8!
FrancesNewell

Return to General Interest