Profesional Carillon Recording Advice

Discussions on carillon related topics.

Moderator: JohnGouwens

Forum rules
1. This forum section is the place for the “none of the above” topics (postings) – not technical, maybe campanalogical but not carillon-related. Comments about sleigh bells or Russian Zvon ringing would fit there. If a topic is started here that seems to fit more in the “News” category (prominent carillonneur dies, for instance) or one of the other categories, the moderator may move it to that forum section. This is a good place to put things like mentioning some old movie that had a carillon in it, for example – not news, and not one of the other categories.

2. Please see “Forum Rules” here for more details.

Profesional Carillon Recording Advice

Postby JoeyBrink on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:07 pm

What are the recording techniques you have used to produce professional carillon CD recordings? Do you find in-tower microphones or outdoor microphones more likely to produce the best quality recordings? Many of us have permanent in-tower microphones - are there any permanent exterior microphones? Any experience recording from nearby rooftops? When working with recording engineers on the ground, how have you handled limited takes and scheduling with the unpredictability of weather and traffic noise?
JoeyBrink

Re: Profesional Carillon Recording Advice

Postby FrancesNewell on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Joey,
My tower does not have mics, I just use a high quality portable recorder IN the tower.
You can never control or predict outside sounds!
I like capturing the overtones of the bells and I can do that more effectively inside the tower.
However, I only have 26 bells. You have a lot more bell-balancing issues than I do.
FrancesNewell

Return to General Interest