Navigating the Forum, and FAQ

News and events of the guild and carillons in general.

Moderator: JohnGouwens

Forum rules
1. This forum section is the heading for assorted news – recital series, commemorative ringing, featured master-classes, you’ve just released a CD, your company or institution is installing a new carillon, you name it. It must have something to do with the carillon, however.

2. Please see the “Forum Rules” topic below for more details.

3. For this “news” section, we can be a bit more relaxed about comments staying on topic than we in the other forum sections.

Navigating the Forum, and FAQ

Postby JohnGouwens on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Under this topic, I'll post suggestions on how to use this forum, and I'll go back and update it whenever needed. If you have a question about how to use this forum, please click "POSTREPLY" under this topic. That way, others can benefit from your questions and the answers. We'll keep it all in one discussion string.

SUBSCRIBING: For this, the interface is rather weird! Under a given topic, or in a section of the forum (such as "News"), you can turn on subscriptions. When you first join, it's turned off. Go to the bottom of the screen. You'll see a checkmark and "subscribe forum." Believe it or not, that means you are unsubscribed, and need to click on "subscribe forum" to subscribe. Once you are subscribed you'll see "X unsubscribe forum." As an example, if you are subscribed to "Guild Business" you will get e-mails about posts to that section of the forum. Suppose you want to see all that, except you don't want to see the ongoing arguments about whether we are "carillonnuers" or "carillonists." You can "unsubscribe" from that particular topic within the forum. It should work. Please let me know if it doesn't. Since I'm the moderator, I subscribe to everything, of course.

When you are entering text, note that the buttons above the entry window allow a variety of formatting options, some more useful than others:
bold
italic
underline
This is a quote.

Code - not sure how that one works.
Code: Select all
Test Code 1
Test Code 2
Test Code 3

Apparently, Flash doesn't work!

List - not sure how this works, either.
[list=]One Two Three [/list]

I don't really know what the asterisk between brackets is, but will edit this to update it when I find out.
[*] (beats me!) [*]Here, I'll try this.

OK, so apparently, the List, *, and Flash don't work yet. I don't know why they are there. I'll ask Dawn for more information about all that!

[img] - [insert picture, I think]

By the way, that photo is a nice night shot of Shafer Tower at Ball State University. Apparently, it is admired by others, as you'll see if you check out Dennis Curry's link to the drafts for Oakland University!

URL is for links to website, YouTube, etc.

size choices large small normal
font "colour
JohnGouwens

Re: Navigating the Forum, and FAQ

Postby JohnGouwens on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Note that in Internet Explorer, entering text is a problem. The line you're editing keeps jumping off the page. It seems to behave better in Google Chrome or Firefox (both of which are free downloads).
JohnGouwens

Postby JohnGouwens on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 pm

When you go to a topic, note that some discussions go on for more than one page. The most recent comments therefore aren't visible until you click on the button that takes you to a later page. So far, I haven't found a way to get it to "default" to showing the most recent comments on the first page.
JohnGouwens

Postby FrancesNewell on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 pm

John,
Who says you have to have page numbers?
If there is no limit to how long a page can be, then keep it all on one page and let visitors scroll down to the latest entry.
Page numbers add an unnecessary step. With computers, the simpler you keep it, the less things can go wrong! :(
"Sort posts/entries(files) by date" or "reverse file order" could be an option if you want the latest entry at the top, but new visitors might not want to keep scrolling back to see what's going on.
One more option, have a "display Posts" button on each new topic with menu choice of "most recent post first" or "Earliest Post first".
Computer language----- argggggh!
FrancesNewell

Postby JohnGouwens on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:35 pm

I have no control over the forum splitting this into "pages." If Dawn knows a way to adjust it, great. My preference would actually be to have it work like Facebook. The earlier posts are truncated, with a link to "see more," and you then immediately see the latest. They didn't ask me! :)
JohnGouwens

Postby CarlSZimmerman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:21 pm

The software which the Guild has chosen to use for this forum appears to be the same as that used by the American Bell Association (see http://www.americanbell.org/forum/ - you may have to be registered first). As such, there are limits to what can be done in terms of local customization for the Guild's purposes.

Of course it is always possible for the Guild to suggest enhancements to the provider of the software, but there is no assurance that such a suggestion would be accepted, nor any estimate of how long it might take to be implemented if it was accepted.
Carl Scott Zimmerman
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - home of at least 36 bell foundries or bell sellers, 1821-1961.
CarlSZimmerman

Postby JohnGouwens on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:12 am

Indeed. Thanks, Carl!
JohnGouwens

Postby FrancesNewell on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:21 am

Wow that bell Association site is showing some gorgeous pics of the new bells at Notre Dame!
Go look if you haven't already.
One section of that site has 8 pages just listing the topics under discussion!
We are truly blessed to be one page in such a rich 500 years of carillon history.
Cheers to our next 500 years!
FrancesNewell

Postby CarlSZimmerman on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:25 am

JohnGouwens wrote:When you go to a topic, note that some discussions go on for more than one page. The most recent comments therefore aren't visible until you click on the button that takes you to a later page.

Multi-page topics have a distinct effect on the way the Forum software works, as follows:

On a single-page topic, simply visiting that page will change the read/unread topic icon on the Index page of that form from red (unread) to blue (you've read it).

On a multi-page topic, you must visit the last page of a topic in order to make the read/unread indicator change color. If you only visit the first page, that topic will remain "unread".

It's easy to tell whether a topic is single-page or multi-page, but it's also easy to overlook that indicator. If you're puzzled about why a read/unread indicator doesn't change, it's because you haven't visited the last page of that topic yet.
Carl Scott Zimmerman
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - home of at least 36 bell foundries or bell sellers, 1821-1961.
CarlSZimmerman

Return to News